Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Day and 2 Days Later

I'll be honest and just tell you I was dreading Christmas this year for many reasons. The main one being that Rob was on call. I didn't know what Christmas would look like so I tried to stay optimistic and pray for the best. Prayers were answered and it was a great day! Christmas Eve Mom and Dad Herrington and Jay came to town. After dinner we went to the Christmas Eve service at our church (which left much to be desired in my opinion). With two tired boys, we left at the offertory and came home so we could go to bed early and wait for Santa. Christmas morning was a real treat, seeing Christmas through children's eyes! Easton just wanted the wrapping paper and every gift P opened came with the exclamation, "Oh cool, this is what I've always wanted!". To say I got spoiled was an understatement. Rob went above and beyond to make me feel special this year by putting so much time and thought into my gifts. My big present?? A date to a Kings vs. Pelicans basketball game next month and a personalized "Bibby" jersey (my favorite player from back in the day). After opening the presents came the daunting task of putting all the boys' toys together. Between my mother in law, Jay, Rob and I we were able to tackle everything without losing pieces or throwing things (a huge accomplishment might I add). Our day came to an end after a simple, but filling Christmas dinner of fried turkey and all the fixins'. The MS Herringtons headed home and our little family laid down for naps. After getting a little rest I spent some time going to the neighbors', dropping off gifts (wow! The neighbors sure spoil the kids around here) and visiting. The best part of the day? Rob didn't have to work! Our first Christmas here, with Easton, was spent as a family- the best present I could've been given!
It was a great day but the thought of my mom's impending surgery loomed in the back of my mind all day. I knew that my parents were NOT enjoying Christmas. They didn't open gifts on Christmas day and my mom didn't have the energy or appetite to eat more than a small helping of chicken noodle soup. Luckily yesterday that problem was (hopefully) fixed. She went in for a 2+ hr surgical procedure, while we all waited on pins and needles praying for the best. Saying our prayers were answered is an understatement! God provided miracles yesterday, starting with the surgical procedure itself and ending with her early release from the hospital. It turns out that the massive pain she was experiencing wasn't just from adhesions that have built up since her last surgery but from hernia mesh that a previous surgeon had used for a hernia repair. The mesh was a tangled ball mixed in with the adhesions in her abdomen area. The surgeon was able to cut the mesh free and didn't see signs of a hernia that needed to be repaired. My mom was even released yesterday, which is HUGE! She's never gone home the day of surgery because of roadblocks in recovery. When I talked to her last night she sounded exhausted but relieved. I'm just praying that her recovery continues to go as smooth as everything else did yesterday. Praise the Lord for so many answered prayers!!

I'll leave you with a few fun memories from Christmas day....




No comments: