Saturday, December 21, 2013

First Ammendment vs the Bible vs the Media

I went back and forth about whether I was going to blog my thoughts on the interview that caused Duck Dynasty and the network A&E to be flipped upside down. But the more I think about it and talk it over with Rob, the more I feel I need to take a stand on my soapbox.
If you live in outerspace you may not have heard but Phil Robertson, the patriarch of the Duck Dynasty, gave an interview where he blatantly answered questions. In what he said, he quoted 1. Cor 6:9-10......"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."  If he would've just quoted the Bible verses I doubt there would be so much hoopla. But, here's the part of the interview that a) the media is not reporting in its entirety and b) has been getting the most media...

“We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.”
What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost.
“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.”
What, in your mind, is sinful?
Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says." Then he paraphrases Corinthians...

(If you want to read more you can find the entire interview at: http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson#ixzz2o7dy6WPh)

Do I personally believe that homosexuality is sinful? Yes. It clearly states several times in the Bible that homosexuality is wrong. Do I believe that the Bible tells us to love one another? Yes. The Bible also states several times that it's our job, as mankind, to love one another despite sins. Do I believe that homosexuals will morph into bestiality? No. I know a few gay people and what I've learned is that they are the least judgmental people because they're used to being judged themselves. I've learned that most of them struggle with their sexuality because they (for the most part) know that the Bible says it's a sin. I've learned that some are open and proud while others hide their sexuality because they still fear society (Case in point- Bob Harper on "Biggest Loser" just 'came out' because he worried about society.). I've learned that homosexuals show less PDA than man/woman couples do because they respect that not everyone agrees with their relationship. Do I believe in the First Amendment? Yes. The First Amendment states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances". (I find it ironic that religion and freedom of speech is mentioned in the same amendment.) I feel that liberals have taken over the media to control what is right and wrong to say. The liberals have started dictating Freedom of Speech, often taking things out of context to stir up controversy.

Here, in my opinion, is where things go from black and white to a gray area. Whether you agree with what Phil Robertson says or not, his Freedom of Speech is being violated. People should be allowed to say what they believe, even if some- or all- people find it offensive. He was not representing A&E during this interview but rather his own family and personal beliefs. He's being persecuted for being open and honest. Do I agree with everything he said? No. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching the show or buying Duck Commander products for Rob (I will stop buying Duck Dynasty products because A&E get a profit from these sales). I feel that "poor" (and I use that term extremely loosely) Phil is getting a bum rap. He's a 67 year old backwoods Louisiana man whose faith is strong and who has probably not had to worry too much about what he's said in the past. I admire his strong Biblical faith, his testimony and that he stands firmly against what society deems as right or wrong these days. I wish more people would publicly stand up for what they believe in, not worrying about what others would think, just like he did. I wish people would be deep rooted in their beliefs, whether it's the Bible or something else, and not waiver...just like he did. I admire his strength and character, the fact that he says what he believes no matter if he's the only one on the face of the Earth to have that same belief.

I'm sure this isn't the end of this saga. People are pro-gay or pro-Robertson in this debate. People are boycotting places and products because of the side they take on the issue. The Robertson family is standing firm behind Phil, saying that he coarsely referenced his Biblical beliefs in the interview. There's talk that the show will now come to an end because of all of the controversy. One thing I know for sure is that, regardless of the outcome, the Robertson family will be just fine because God and family are the center of their universe.

1 comment:

Betty Townsend said...

Very well stated. I, personally, do not know this man. Don't watch their program, don't watch TV to be honest. All that I know is what has been on FB. There is nothing wrong with what he had to say, those are his thoughts, beliefs. His presentation may not have been all cleaned up and nice...so what, he spoke his mind. The liberals have to tear apart anyone who expresses their beliefs and its not in line with theirs (the liberals). The Robertson family will do fine because they are walking closely beside the Lord.