Sunday, December 18, 2016

Giver's Heart

When you become a parent you worry. Or maybe I'm the only parent who worries. But I worry about my boys' salvation, their safety, that they become productive members of society, that they grow up to be better givers than receivers...yada, yada, yada. So it always warms my heart when I see the fruits of our labor prosper. A few weeks ago E and I went to buy clothes for a foster boy who didn't have much this Christmas. I was explaining to E why we were buying clothes and books for someone other than him. He didn't say much but was quick to pick out clothes and books he thought the boy would like. Afterwards I had to run to Walmart to get a few things before picking P up from school. As we were crossing the parking lot, E saw the "Christmas Crusade" trailer that the local sheriff dept sets up every year. He asked what it was but instead of me explaining it to him, I told him to ask one of the police officers to explain it to him. The officer told E that they were accepting new toys for kids who flooded this year. E asked if we could donate a toy so how could I say no? He took his time, looking for just the right toy, something that he would like to receive. He proudly chose a toy truck and took it to the trailer as we left the store. The officer gladly accepted it, making a big deal out of E bringing them a toy for a child. He took a picture of him, which was then posted on the sheriff's FB page the following day. The beauty of this experience is that not once did he ask for something for himself (a rarity when we shop). He realized that there were kids that didn't have anything this year and he was more than happy to give than receive. My heart is happy.....one less thing for this mama to worry about!


No comments: