Saturday, December 3, 2016

To Elf or Not to Elf.....

Every year there is the question among parents...to elf or not to elf? Everyone has their own argument for or against it. For us, we're TeamElf. It's part of the Christmas tradition in our house, one full of magic and joy. In my house, growing up, we had many Christmas traditions. My brother and I had our own tree to decorate. The "Orange Man" came after the big tree was up and decorated. We'd go to the woods with other families and cut down our tree. And in more recent years we started hunting for the "german pickle" on our tree every Christmas, after the Christmas meal was finished and cleaned up. To me, Christmas is not only about the most important reason for Christmas but for family traditions, creating memories that will not be long forgotten. That's why we elf. Does it replace us telling our boys about Jesus's birth? Absolutely not! Does it replace us teaching them that giving is better than receiving. Nope (and more on that in another blog). But it adds a little something extra to the Christmas holidays. I look forward to them waking me up in the morning, huge smiles on their faces, telling me where they found Shooby and what trouble he got into. Ok, maybe I don't have the same appreciation for it at 5:30am which seems to be the going wake up time since one of the other wakes up early, trying to be the first to find him. But I enjoy it nonetheless. Everyone has their own traditions and who am I to judge them? Enjoy them and create memories with them. As for us, we'll continue to enjoy our elf fun until Christmas Eve~ at which point we will sit as a family and read the REAL Christmas story from the book of Luke.



No comments: