Thursday, January 19, 2012

Going Through Hell

I have been trying to post pictures that I took of the fires ever since I wrote this blog but for some reason it's just not going to happen tonight. So look back at it tomorrow after 5(ish) and hopefully the pictures will be posted them. Just an update: It's 9:30PST and we're doing fine up on "our" mountain.


Some states deal with hurricanes. Others have to contend with earthquakes. We have destructive wildfires and this year we've had way more than usual. The wildfires burn thousands of acres and many homes. It turns people's lives upside down. On a minor level, considering all things, even allergy sufferers like me have difficulty breathing. It affects so many!
Earlier this afternoon I thought I smelled smoke but I didn't think much of it until my principal came over the intercom and announced there was a fire in the south end of town. By the time the bell rang, Rob was calling to ask me to get home ASAP because of how fast the fires were spreading. It's crazy to think we're having wildfires in the middle of January. We should be dealing with feet of snow, not scorched land.
On my way home I felt like I was driving through hell. I've never witnessed a fire that close, where I could literally see the flames jump. I was stuck in traffic for almost an hour but it gave me an opportunity to take pictures of the ever growing fire. As of this moment in time, we don't need to worry about anything other than power outages. It could be so much worse for us but my thoughts and prayers are with those that have lost homes, animals, etc. How sad to be dealing with this all over again!

No comments: