Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Learning Curve



I've loved being behind a camera since I was young. Even as a teenage, I wanted to make photography my career until my Dad told me I'd have to be as good as Ansel Adams to really make a living at it. Recently someone said they don't like to take pictures because they like to truly experience life instead of view it from behind a camera lens. To me, capturing the moment on film makes the moment last that much longer in my mind.
But I'm learning that the more I learn about different aspects of photography, the more I have to learn about photography. I recently emailed a friend about some different photography questions that I've had because I think he's one of the most talented photographers I've had the privilege of knowing. He answered my questions and then ended the email saying, "There are rules in photography, sure. But some of the most innovative imagemakers break those rules on a regular basis. Photography is not the same as bookkeeping. It's art, and it's beauty is totally subjective." It was reassuring to an aspiring photographer to learn that, although there are rules, it's subjective to a certain extent. This gives me certainty when I'm looking at the pictures I've taken or looking at other people's pictures for that matter.
I'm excited to continue learning new things in this field. I've already learned so much since picking up my Dad's camera last June but, like most things, I still have SOOOO much left to learn!

No comments: