Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Marriage and Technology

I've been thinking about marriage a lot lately, mainly because several of my friends are struggling with theirs. Some of my friends are working hard to salvage theirs while others are throwing in the towel. Each marriage difficulty is different from the other but one thing that I think they all have in common is communication...or lack thereof. The reason for this? I truly believe that technology is to blame. Now that Rob is home every night I realize how much we (mainly him) spend on our phones, Kindles or computers. When I first wake up in the morning I spend about an hour on the computer, checking email and FB, while P watches his shows. Then I check my phone or computer throughout the day when I have a few minutes. When Rob gets home from work I'd say he's on his phone (mainly) or the computer 80% of the time. The TV? Don't get me started on how much TV he watches on a daily basis. I think this causes parents to lack creativity with their kids and spouses to lack communication skills to talk about their day, their feelings, what they're thinking, etc. After awhile we, as a technological society, get so used to communicating via technology that it's hard to communicate personally. Technology makes communication so superficial that it seems to seep into marriage, in my opinion. It's no wonder that couples under the age of 55 seem to be doomed for divorce from the beginning. If everyone banned technology for even a week I bet people would see a difference in their life, relationships, etc. But would we survive? Just food for thought.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Amen to that! Nothing more frustrating than to try to carry on a conversation with someone when you have to compete with a cell phone! Mom