Friday, August 9, 2013

I Hate.....

* Be forewarned that this is a rant so if you're not in the mood to hear me complain it's probably best to stop reading right about now.*

For the past couple weeks I have sang "This is the Day That the Lord Hath Made" while showering. Most days it works to get me in the right frame of mind. Some days, like today, Satan attacks and it's all downhill. It started with only getting 3 hours of sleep last night and playing "Musical Beds" all night. Then to add to it, P clogged the toilet with a roll of toilet paper and dropped a big glob of toothpaste on the carpet. The icing on the cake was when I got called that my debit card had been fraudulently used and I would be without one for about 10 days. (Although I am SUPER thankful that the bank is on top of it and called immediately!) From there I had my own internal rant that went something like this.......
I hate the miserably hot weather that makes me sweat all day and keeps us cooped up inside. I hate that it doesn't even cool off at night so I can go sit outside or go for a run in the neighborhood. I hate that groceries cost twice as much here, despite shopping with coupons, because produce and dairy products are so expensive. I hate that it takes forever to get somewhere. (Although to make that a fair statement, if we had moved to Gardnerville as planned, it would've taken 45 mins to get to the mall or to visit Reno friends.) I hate that everything is sticky and it's not because of having 2 young kids. I hate that crackers go stale quickly for the same reason I sweat all day and things are sticky. I hate that I am no longer a couple hours away from my parents and can't just call them up when I need a break from the boys, knowing that they'll drop everything to come help. I hate that I've become paranoid of ants and bugs in general. I've always prided myself in not being "that" girl when it came to bugs. I hate that I refuse to watch the news because, instead of the weather being the top headline like in NV, it's the murders and drug arrests that is not only depressing but not suitable for a 4 yr old to watch.
And you know what I hate the most?? Using the word HATE and knowing that I've gotten increasingly grumpy the past year. I prayed that we'd get pregnant with Easton. I did and then I spent most of the pregnancy complaining about how miserable I felt and how huge I was. I prayed that I'd stay part time at my teaching position and then complained when I got to (and in the process hurt a woman's feelings that was an innocent bystander). I hate that we prayed for our house to sell so we could move to the valley and when that happened I complained about the rental house incessantly. (OK, I'm not truly sorry about that one because the house really was a dump!) I don't know why I can't just be content. The Lord has blessed me/us with so much and I need to spend more time recognizing those blessings instead of "hating" everything and being miserable. People all around me have it WAY worse than me, yet I've become a negative person. It makes me sad to think of myself that way because I've never been like that. If you're a praying person, please pray that, as I draw closer to the Lord, my heart will soften and my eyes will be more open to the blessings that surround me on a daily basis because I want to be content in life and thankful for the goodness that is a part of my daily life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This coming from our little girl that was always so happy and content...a ray of sunshine and fun to be around...the glass always have full kind of girl? Bring that little girl back! Life's too short to be miserable. Love, Mom