Sunday, December 1, 2019

Christmas Tree

Earlier this week I realized that I was able to blog every day in November, despite it being our busiest month of the year. So I am going to continue to be intentional about blogging more often.....

I've never had an artificial tree. I love the smell of a real tree and I love that a live tree is one-of-a-kind, just like people. The problem is, is that I like to put the tree up the weekend after Thanksgiving but they usually die before Christmas. But, I asked around (ie I posted it on FB) and was pointed toward a local nursery with a great reputation. So, with shorts on since it was 80+ degrees out (there should be a law against buying a Christmas tree when it's above 60 degrees out) we drove to the nursery to find the perfect tree. The employees there went above and beyond in helping us find a great tree for us. Rob couldn't go with us because he's sick but when we brought the tree home he was quick to cut off the bottom and help me get it in the stand. I think I was a little overzealous when I got the tree because we usually get a 6' tree and this year our tree is around 8'. It takes up so much of our living room but Rob said it's one of the best looking trees we've ever gotten. While the tree was "settling", the boys and I finished decorating the rest of the house. E hounded me to death about when we would decorate the tree because he was so excited. Finally, after dinner, I pulled out the lights and started stringing them around the tree. We didn't have enough white lights so I had to run out and buy more. Even after getting another 100 lights there's still a few inches at the top of the tree that are lightless. But, depending on the angle you're looking at the tree, you wouldn't notice. Once the lights were up, we pulled out the ornaments. I have to say I'm envious of people that have those perfectly put together trees, the ones that look like they belong in a magazine. But, watching the boys look at our ornaments and talk about each one and the memories it holds is priceless. Once they start talking about how special each ornament is I forget that our tree will never grace the cover of a magazine but that it is indeed perfect for us. Case in point: last year I had bought some really nice stockings so they would match and look classy in front of our fireplace. But, P got upset that his stocking that his Gee made him wasn't up. So once again our stockings are mismatched but they hold memories and that's part of what Christmas is all about. I love this time of year- the memories we reminisce about and the memories we create. Our tree may not be perfect with its crooked topper and lightless sections but we put it together as a family, creating more memories and I love it!


No comments: