Wednesday, July 10, 2013

One Month Ago

It was a month ago today that I hugged my parents, wiped my tear stained cheeks and boarded a plane with my boys, bound for a new life in Louisiana. It feels like a lifetime ago. I'm not exactly sure how long it will take me to adjust to life here. There are some preconceived ideas that I had before moving that have proven to be false. There are a few preconceived ideas that have proven to be true (The amount of bugs for one....we have a dragonfly IN the house even as I write this). I have tried to find fun things to do with the boys but some days we are bored. The first three weeks were especially rough because Rob worked a lot of overtime and was sicker than a dog. Some days I went without any adult interaction, which is not something I have an easy time dealing with. Last week was the hardest, as I knew it'd be, because of P's birthday and the 4th. But now that that is behind me I'm hoping that each day will get easier.
The biggest adjustment of all? Trying to meet people. Don't get me wrong. People here are SUPER friendly and helpful. I'm just struggling with making friends. It makes me realize how much I took my friendships for granted in Reno and California. I never really had to work hard at making friends and I always had people to do things with. That was the case even before I called Reno "home". When I'd go visit Rob we did a lot of couple dates or I'd go out with a friend or two so I didn't have to put myself out there to meet people. My circle of friends changed over the course of the 5 years that I lived there but I never went without.
The thing I've gotten most excited about is the church I found. Two members came over last night and stayed for over an hour, answering questions and telling us how we can get involved. When they left I felt energized and hopeful! I hope that, by getting involved, it's a start to new friendships.
In the meantime I'll be thankful that Rob is feeling better, he hasn't worked as much overtime lately and we're enjoying time as a family. I'll also be thankful for one local friend who meets with me at least once a week to hang out so we can have adult conversation and so the kids can play together. I'll be thankful for the children's library programs and local splash parks that have kept us entertained on these hot, humid Summer days. I'll be thankful for our beautiful house and nice neighbors that always take a minute or two to stop and chat. Taking time to find the little things to be thankful for has helped the homesickness subside a little. I truly believe that it was the Lord's Will for us to move here. Some days I question why but I'm excited to see what He has in store for us as we continue to get settled in to this new chapter of life.

No comments: