Thursday, January 16, 2014

Breaking Habits

I've heard that if you do something 21 times/days it becomes a habit. Well, I guess doing something several times a day from the end of 2012 to the beginning of 2014 is really a habit that's hard to break. Some of the best  parenting advice I've ever been given is to break kids of their pacifier before they can verbalize what it is (around 1 yr old). It worked for P and I had no doubt it'd work for Easton as well. After consulting with his pediatrician at his 1 yr wellness appt, I was determined to wean him this past weekend. But, both he and Rob came down with a horrible stomach bug and nursing him was about the only fluid and nutrition he was receiving. He was better Monday so as of Tuesday, Easton has been weaned from everything! I thought it'd be hard for him but the only time he has a hard time sleeping without his pacifier is during his morning nap time. Other than that, he's a big boy and goes to sleep, cuddling his stuffed birthday penguin, pretty fast. He now sleeps 11 hours straight (HALLELUJAH!!), giving me several hours of uninterrupted sleep every night for the first time in a year (I feel like a new person getting so much sleep!). The habits that I'm struggling to break involves getting out of the nursing mindset. I keep monitoring my caffeine intake only to realize it doesn't matter anymore. I woke up with my allergies bothering me this morning. I immediately thought, "Oh, I wish I could take something to make them better." It wasn't until after breakfast that I realized that I could. I sure enjoyed nursing so much more this time around but I won't lie- it's nice to have my body back and be able to eat/drink what I want without worrying about how it'll effect someone else. Habits are made but habits can be broken.

No comments: