Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Mornings

As a teacher, Monday mornings were always my least favorite day of the week because no matter how much I prepped and prepared on Fridays it seemed like I was always rushed until the bell rang come Monday mornings. Add rain to that day it was one I wouldn't even want to get out of bed for. Apparently, that goes with being a SAHM as well. This morning was anything but relaxing. Our puppy doesn't like the rain so he was whining to come in shortly after letting him out. My 4 yr old let him in and then yelled that he was having an accident in the house while I was "making" (does popping Eggo Waffles in the toaster count as making??) breakfast. While we were eating breakfast I noticed the puppy was nowhere in sight....never a good thing. I found the 2nd accident before I found him. After cleaning it up again and finishing breakfast I proceeded to have my 4 yr old pack all his stuffed animals in garbage bags after he disobeyed me and ripped his stuffed animal net from the ceiling, creating a huge pile of animals that took up a good part of his room. (That boy has WAY TOO many stuffed animals!). From there I went in my room to finally get something productive done only to see my 1 yr old throwing up after putting an air freshener in his mouth. I cleaned him up and decided I would take a couple minutes to decompress from the last 20 minutes and enjoy a cup of hot coffee. Nice thought but my coffee was cold by then. My 4 yr old then broke my one solitary moment of peace by yelling that my 1 yr old was playing in the toilet water (Thankfully it was clean water!!) and pulling the toilet paper from the roll. Luckily it was his nap time so I put him down and told my 4yr old I needed a few minutes to take a bath. He asked if he could have some leftover birthday cake or a cookie and I quickly told him no as sugar and him are not a good combo first thing in the morning (or ever). He knows he's not to interrupt me when I'm taking a bath unless it's an emergency. So when he came in the bathroom with a sheepish look on his face and white stuff all over his face I knew my "relaxing" bath was quickly coming to an end. He's a pretty sharp cookie but not sharp enough to wipe off the evidence of birthday cake from his lips before meeting me face to face. He got mad at me when I told him he could not have any snacks, juice or treats for the rest of the day. When I took the garbage out he followed me out of the house, where he informed me that he'd lock me out of the house for punishing him. Wrong thing to say on this rainy Monday morning!
I thought we had turned a corner when we ran errands because he was actually behaving (for the most part) but as soon as we got home he disappeared only to return a few minutes later covered in head to toe mud! Normally I'm not the kind of mom to worry about kids playing in mud after it rains. That's part of the fun of rainy days. But the barefooted, muddy, defiant kid that stood before me with a smirk on his face just put me over the edge with everything else I had dealt with already (On top of the chaos throw in a 1yr old that is getting over a stomach bug and still has disgusting diapers to change....every 15 minutes). When my 4yr old kept interrupting a phone call and jumping on the dogs after I asked him not to he was sent to his room for a long, much needed rest time (for him and me both!). All 2 legged and 4 legged creatures are now sleeping and I'm finally getting some quiet time for the first time since my day started at 6:18am. Am I complaining? Not really. It's one of those days that I'll look back on and laugh about in the very near future because in the whole scheme of life none of this stuff was a big deal. But because I'm not active on FB anymore to rant and I don't really keep a journal this is my way of documenting my sometimes not-so-perfect days.
Here's to hoping that your rainy-or sunshiny-or cloudy-or foggy Monday morning has been a calm one for ya!

No comments: