Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I'm a Survivor

"I'm a survivor
I'm not gon' give up
I'm not gon' stop
I'm gon' work harder
I'm a survivor
I'm gonna make it
I will survive
Keep on survivin'...."

If you've ever had a sick child you understand why this has been my theme song for the past couple weeks. I thought that, after dealing with my firstborn being so sick, it'd be easier with the 2nd child. Wrong! I don't know if it's because I can't automatically "fix" him, which doesn't bode well with a control like myself. Or because it's taxing mentally. Or because I feel like I'm doing everything I can and he's getting worse instead of better. Or because I feel like a horrible mom to P because he hasn't had any attention from me the past couple weeks. Or because we've pretty much been housebound for several days. Or because the dr's office is closed and I can't take in the samples I needed to be tested for Easton so I have to start the "collection" process all over again. (Gross!) The whole situation is frustrating to say the least!
Today is a "Survival Mode" day. A "Put on a movie so I can have a few minutes to myself" kind of day. A "If anything else goes wrong I will burst into tears" kind of day. A "I want to crawl in bed and pull the blankets back over my head" kind of day. It started at 5:30am when both boys decided that'd be a good time to start the day because Daddy was going to work. I got Easton back to sleep and, in hindsight, if I had known that was the only peace I would've had for the morning I would've cherished it more. After Easton woke up I was encouraged that he ate breakfast because he hasn't eaten much in the past 3 days. He didn't eat a lot but enough. I gave him his medicine and we had just started Facetiming my mom when Easton started coughing. The coughing turned into gagging. The gagging turned into projectile vomiting. It was ALL over me, him, the carpet and in our hair. We both required baths and I had to clean the carpet and do a load of laundry. After his bath I asked P to keep him entertained while I tried to get clean clothes on him. It was going good until P started swinging Mardi Gras beads and accidentally whacked Easton with them. Easton was crying so hard that he wasn't making noise. At that point I wanted to throw in the towel because I felt like I had worked a full 8 hours day with 25 kids instead of 3 hours with my own 2 kids. Sometimes being a SAHM is hands down the hardest job I've ever had (Thankfully the good FAR outweigh the bad)!
To top it off Rob is most likely not coming home tonight because of the "big storm". My MIL is probably up to her ears with police related stuff due to the "big storm" they're having and the roads will soon be closed from their house to ours. So I'm in it alone. I am not really complaining because even with Rob and I tag teaming everything last night it was still very chaotic until the boys went to bed. We both felt like we were being pulled in every direction. The joys of parenthood! It is one of those days, however, that if I lived closer to my parents I would call them up and tell them I'm coming for a visit. Actually, on second thought, I probably wouldn't. I wouldn't think twice about doing it in a FOOT or two of snow back home but I'm not about to endanger my boys' lives driving in an INCH or two of snow here. So I'm going to put my big girl panties on, power through and survive the day just like millions of women do EVERY day with worse conditions. Because you know what? Sometimes being a mom simply means you are a "SURVIVOR"!

No comments: