Thursday, November 16, 2017

Another 3 for 1

Nov. 14
I will be the first one to admit that I miss the snow, the cold weather. Come October, it's supposed to be cold enough to wear a hoodie. And, by November, you should be bundled in a coat and UGGs. But there's something to be said for putting on shorts and a t-shirt to do yard work. It's nice that the boys can come home from school and burn energy, playing football outside. It may chap my hide to turn the A/C on when we go to bed, but there are some things I enjoy about the warm weather.

Nov. 15
Three and a half years ago a little mutt darkened our doorstep. She wasn't the cutest dog I had ever seen. In fact, she wasn't even close to it. But something about her made us fall in love with her. After showing up for a few weeks, every day, we decided to adopt her and I am so thankful we did. P named her "Fetcha", which is funny only because she hates to fetch. Her toy of choice? A balloon. Other than that, she could care less about anything other than us....and the neighborhood cat that comes into our yard. Her only annoying habit is running out an open door and then having the boys chase her to get her back home. But, for us, she has been near perfect of a pet. She is connected at P's hip until he goes to bed. Then she split her time between me and Rob. She either lies on the carpet in the bathroom while I take a bath or she lays at Rob's feet while we watch TV. She is fiercely protective of her boys and, I have no doubt, would give her life if one of the boys was in danger. I am so thankful that she found us a few years ago because she has been such a welcome, and very loved, member of our family.

Nov. 16
I am a high school history teacher so, on more than one occasion, I have taught about how people traveled in the 1800s during the Westward Expansion. I teach how it would take months to get across the country, if the people even made it to their destination. So, today, I am thankful for modern transportation. I am thankful that my parents were able to get on a plane and travel across the US in a matter of hours. I am thankful that I was able to get the boys and drive to the airport in about an hour to pick them up. I have always been close to my parents. So, the thought of not being able to see them a couple times a year would be unthinkable. I am thankful that they are here for Thanksgiving, seeing our world.

No comments: