Sunday, November 1, 2009

Running and Writing

At 34 I've discovered a HUGE "Aha" about myself! I love reading, writing, photography, scrapbooking, running and hiking. (That wasn't the "aha.) The "aha" is that all of my passions are things that are usually done by yourself or without competition. It surprised me when I thought about this because I am such a social person. I think the reason these things are hobbies/passions is because I am a control freak, an anal perfectionist. I hate when people point out what I'm doing wrong or when I have to compete against anyone other than myself. That's why I am stretching myself in two ways. One way is that I'm in the process of fulfilling a childhood dream of becoming an author. Since my writing to date has consisted of this blog, my journal and my Masters project I am dreading the editing that will take place. I love writing and it comes easy for me, but I don't like someone pointing out all my mistakes. I guess I'll have to get past that if I want to be an author because I have to have an editor that will strengthen my writing.
Another way I will stretch myself is by running a relay in June. Last night I was asked to join a relay team for a 24 hour run. I was asked by a neighbor earlier in the week to join her team but it had come with the disclaimer that she didn't have a full team. I figured I wouldn't have to do the relay but now there's an official team so I am committed. I am part of a team, responsible in part for the team's success or failure. That concerns me but the people that I know on the team are laid back so that helps ease my insecurity. If nothing else it'll give me an excuse to get in shape before we start trying to have a second child.
So, two weeks into the 34th year of my life I will stretch myself, trying to get past my insecurities and letting go of how controlling I can be. Wish me luck...

No comments: