Monday, January 17, 2011

life

well, jen has taken preston to sacramento so holly and i have the house to ourselves. all this quiet time got me to thinking about the good ol days. i remember when i was young, pretty much from the time i could walk, i stayed outside, in the woods. if i wasnt hunting, fishing, or trapping, i was thinking about hunting, fishing, and trapping. if it was a weekend and it was pouring rain, i saw that as a chance to go mud riding on my 4wheeler. i remember coming in from the morning hunt at paw paw and thinking to myself, how can all the adults come in and take a nap when there is so much to do. i couldnt wait to come in from hunting and go scouting for a better place to hunt, or just to get going and looking for snakes,armadillos, or whatever critter i could find. well, my point is, here i am an adult, and its a pretty day outside, and im on this computer. those were the good ol days. i think of them often. i still had my grandma that would give up a day of hunting to go sit in a box stand at number 12 just so i could go with her. my other grandma who would spend hours kicking my butt at horse on the basketball court, and my grandpa who pretty much gave up most of his later adult years to anything i wanted to do. i am blessed though. ive still got my brother, mom, and dad. lot of folks aint got that. i know that preston soon will be doing and thinking all of the things i used to. im glad that preston still has his grandparents around and i hope he will for a lot of years to come. i dont think folks really spend enough time reflecting on the importance of having grandparents and what all it means to a kid for them to be there. i remember grandpa saying at one point while talking with mr james at the bay, "the only good thing about them good ol days is that they are gone". ya know, he is right. right now is the good ol days. those days were fun, but there is nothing more fun than having a family and watching a little you grow up and experience all of the things that your parents got to experience. i just hope that i can be half the father to preston that my dad was and is to me and my brother. one thing is for sure, the herrington name doesnt get mentioned without the word outdoors being thought of. my last name is a legacy. it is something that im very proud of. i know that i cant wait for the chance to say that i am doc herrington's grandson and bobby herrington's son. i hope preston has the same thoughts when he gets older. to some, their last name is just a name. not for me. its my everyday challenge to live up to my name. i look forward to teaching preston all of the things my folks taught me. i wasnt very good at football, basketball, or baseball. i was decent at rodeo, and i think i excelled in the outdoors. however, no matter how good or bad i was at something, i either failed or achieved it with 100% heart and try. thats all i will ever ask of preston. do your best, hold your head up high, and be able to sleep at night cause you know at the end of the day, you gave it your all. well, on that note, i think ill go do some cleaning up round the lazy h. we'll holla at yall later

2 comments:

Betty Townsend said...

Love the way you write, Rod!

Betty Townsend said...

oops...sorry...I meant Rob...:)