Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Meaning of Christmas


What does Christmas mean to you? I can tell you what it DOESN'T mean to me. It doesn't mean being PC, wishing someone a "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Xmas". In the past the "Merry Xmas" has bothered me but "Happy Holidays" hasn't been a big deal. For some reason, this year, every time I hear it I cringe. In fact, at some point, I had bought a "Happy Holidays" window cling that I ended up throwing out a few days ago. Yes, it is the holidays and yes, I want people to be happy during this time. But, the Reason for the season has been taken out of CHRISTmas in fear of offending people.
To me, CHRISTmas is all about just that...Christ! We celebrate His birth and the sacrifices He made for us while on Earth. It's nice to get presents and I'm not at all opposed to all the Christmas fun such as Santa, deocrations and parties. But I think there needs to be more focus on the real Reason, instead of being PC. Christmas is celebrated because of Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem to welcome their son, Jesus, into the world. To me personally it means enjoying church more, getting closer to God. It means taking time out of each day to focus on the Reason I'm celebrating with loved ones.
So, I encourage you to take a minute to think about what Christmas means to you and how you greet someone during this season..."Happy Holidays", "Merry Xmas", or "Merry CHRISTmas"?? Until we meet again, I am wishing you a wonderful Christmas season!!

No comments: