Monday, December 12, 2011

Toddler for Trade

As a parent, I sometime wish there was a trading system for kids. When your child is having a really "off" day you can trade them with a better behaved kid for the day. Then you get your kid back when they mind again. Today I would've gladly traded P for a nicer model. Not that I don't love him to pieces but there are a few rare days where I don't find his antics humorous.
Let's take today for example. It didn't start out good and it sure isn't ending on a positive note.(Actually it still hasn't ended as P is still up- an hour and a half past bedtime!) Rob woke up with a stomach bug and spent most of the morning in the bathroom. P decided he'd wake up early, which never starts the day out well for him or me. He fell and banged up the side of his face at some point this morning while he was playing and I was doing laundry. Then we worked on potty training but that was not successful in the least! He dropped his piggy bank, after being asked to put it away, and it shattered into 100 pieces.
This afternoon I was hoping he'd do better after his nap but no such luck. He ALWAYS acts out when Rob initially leaves. Since Rob's Uncle Billy did pass away this evening Rob went to my parents' to catch an early morning flight tomorrow for the funeral. As soon as Rob left, P turned up the orneriness 10 fold. He dropped a Connect 4 checker down the heating vent then proceeded to take apart the vent to get the checker. From there he broke the stereo, which was already on its way out thanks to P trying to "fix" it a couple months ago.
At bedtime things didn't get better. He wouldn't listen so I told him I wasn't going to read him any books if he didn't mind. He didn't so I didn't, which messed up his whole bedtime routine. He plays this game where he constantly comes out and asks for his "Blanky covers", meaning he wants to be covered up again. Rob only has to go in once- twice tops- to do it and tell him to go to bed before he goes to sleep. I, on the other hand, get a nice little battle when I have to do it. Tonight I stayed in the living room until I thought he was sound asleep and then I drew a hot bath. I was into my book when all of a sudden I heard the phone beeping. Since it was lying on our bed I knew P was the culprit. I got out of the bath, turned off the phone and went out to the dining room to find that P had used his "Cars" chair as a ladder. He had proceeded to get his Advent calendar down and had pushed through a couple numbers to obtain the little chocolates behind them. After I took his stuffed animals away for constantly misbehaving he screamed for several minutes before coming back out to ask for "Blanky covers". I hesitate saying this but I think he FINALLY went to sleep because the house has been gloriously silent for the past 5 minutes. Let's pray that tomorrow is a better day all the way around. Otherwise, I'm trading for a nicer model!

No comments: