Monday, February 6, 2012

Our Sweet, Sick Lil Trooper

P has now had a cough for about a month and it's been getting progressively worse. It's to the point now that when he coughs people around him think he's going to throw up because it's such a violent cough. We've taken him to the pediatrician 3 times in the past 3 weeks to no avail. Last night we decided that enough was enough. We were having a fairly large Superbowl party and all P wanted to do was go in our room and lay on our bed. As soon as people left, I put him in bed and he was asleep before I finished saying his prayers (Usually he says them but last night was the exception). This morning we decided to call his pediatrician to get in for another diagnosis. I had an appt that I couldn't change so Rob took P to his appointment. Had I known we were going to end up at the hospital across the street for chest xrays I would've cancelled my appt no questions asked. But, hindsight is 20-20. I met up with Rob and P after my appt in time for P to get his xrays. What a horrible experience! Since only one parent was allowed in the xray room, P wanted me to go with him. He was so weak and tired that he couldn't stand against the xray wall like the tech was asking him to do. So she had to put him in this barbaric contraption.




It broke my heart to watch the big alligator tears roll down his cheeks while he called out for me to hold him. The xray process could not get over fast enough for me. It was bringing back horrific memories of when P was admitted to that same hospital as a newborn and I felt so helpless. We took a short nap in Rob's truck until our pediatrician's office opened back up after lunch. The good news is that he was not diagnosed with pneumonia but our doctor said that he could have walking pneumonia that wouldn't show up on the xrays. Or, like our doctor thinks is the case, he could've just been hit with a few different viruses all at the same time. P was given a 2nd antibiotic so hopefully the double dose he's on will help kill all the viruses so he'll be back to his happy, healthy self soon. Although I've enjoyed the cuddles, I miss sleeping in my own bed and having my happy-go-lucky boy around!

1 comment:

Kimberly June said...

Oh hun, I can't imagine. I'm heartbroken watching E fight a fever I would be a basket case seeing "my heart" strapped in something that looked like a torture device! You're a strong mama and P is so blessed to have you. As I pray for healing for my boy tonight I'll be praying for yours as well. There is nothing worse than watching helplessly while your baby suffers.
*hugs*