Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Best Friend

I'm not gonna lie. Marriage is the hardest thing I've ever endured. Sometimes it's easy to look at the negative in your marriage. That being said, I was worried 4 months ago today. You see, Rob had shoulder surgery exactly 4 months ago (tomorrow) and that put him at home all day, every day. We have different lifestyles and different parenting styles and, to be honest (again), we're not used to being around each other 24/7. BUT, there was absolutely no need for me to be worried. In fact it strengthened our marriage, making us best friends all over again. He's the first person I go to and is my biggest cheerleader. He contributes to the household, helping in so many ways. He sacrifices and rearranges his schedule so I can enjoy a social life and pursue photography.

Today I was thinking about Rob and all that he gives to this marriage. About a month ago he was given the opportunity to bid a different job in his company. Although it was not his ideal job, included a pay cut and would put him back to work earlier than anticipated, it would put him home every night. So, after discussing it, he took the job. In fact he's offered to work long days and weekends so I can quit my job and pursue photography full time. When I say I want a new photography accessory he's quick to tell me to get it. Tonight he has to go into work at 11 after already working a long day. I had my last photography class (which went MUCH better than Tuesday's by the way) and he could've easily asked me to skip it so I could hang out with P while he got some much needed rest but he never did. Yesterday he started my day with a sweet love note and ended it last night, after working all day, by washing all the dishes that I had stacked up in the sink from making dinner.

With so many troubled marriages out there it makes me really count my blessings. Is our marriage perfect? No. But, it's perfect for us and I'm blessed to be married to my best friend.


No comments: