Monday, February 10, 2014

2 1/2 months later...

Due to P's virus as a newborn, I have since learned that his compromised immune system means he tends to get sicker than others with a common illness. Case in point is the virus that he got from Easton on Thanksgiving- Hand, Foot and Mouth. I honestly didn't know Easton had it until P got it a few days later. Easton had 3 blisters on his entire body. P had that on his chin alone! He had them all over his body and spent an entire night, crying and begging for the itching to go away. Thankfully the virus isn't a long drawn out one and he was feeling better within a couple days. About a month after the fact, however, he had a few finger nails turn purple. The hypochondriac in me tried to remain calm as all I could think was, "My child has cancer." (Yes, I can be a little dramatic at times!). I told Rob my fears and at the same time he and I both Googled the symptoms. Turns out that the dumb virus makes children lose fingernails and toenails several weeks after the fact. I don't know if it's because he had such a strong reaction to the virus but to date he's lost both of his big toenails and 2 fingernails. He's in the process of losing one more toenail and then hopefully we'll be done with it all and can put it behind us.....although I don't think P will ever forget the misery that comes with Hand, Foot and Mouth. Not-fun-at-all!

No comments: