Thursday, February 13, 2014

King of the Cakes

Up until a few years ago, I had never heard of a King Cake. The only thing I knew about Mardi Gras was the beads and partying in NOLA that I saw on the national news. Up until last month, I had never tasted a King Cake. Once I did I didn't really get what all the fuss was about. Up until a couple weeks ago I hadn't had a King Cake that had me wanting more. But now that I have I can't get it out of my system...and I only have a few weeks left to indulge!
Down here people definitely have their preference as to where their King Cake is baked/bought. It's like Pepsi v. Coke, Burger King v. McDonalds, Dryers v. Blue Bell (well now that's just a silly comparison because everyone knows that Blue Bell can't be beat). Well I have found my King Cake bakery....Ambrosia. I stopped by there the other day only to find that the King Cake I was craving had been sold out. Which, in hindsight, was probably a good thing since P and I would've been the only ones eating it. This morning, however, I must've instinctively known Rob was coming home (yay!) because I called the bakery and placed an order for a mini (which still feeds 4-6 people in case you're wondering) cream cheese King Cake. I can hardly wait to pick it up in the morning (yes, they made me wait 24hrs!). I think I could get used to Mardi Gras...or at least the King Cake part of it. 

No comments: