Friday, February 21, 2014

Nurse Herrington

The start of 2014 has been a rough one for little Easton. He has been sick for most of it and has been to the pediatrician 3 times and Urgent Care once in the past month. Last week, when I was sick, he was actually healthy the entire week....the first entire week he's been healthy this year. On Tuesday of this week he woke up with a cough but no other symptoms. Rob was in TX for a training course and I was thrilled to get the heck out of dodge for a few days and visit him. He asked if I thought I should wait a day to come to make sure Easton was ok. But I selfishly put Easton's health second to my wants...and I paid the price. We got there Tuesday after Easton cried almost the entire 3 hr drive. After dinner I was giving the boys a bath when he threw up the little he had eaten for dinner. By the time he went to bed he was burning up with a fever. I thankfully had brought the fever reducer medicine so I gave him that and prayed for a good night. I wish I could say my prayer was answered but it was a horrible night for all of us. The next morning I packed up my car and listened to Easton  cry for the entire 3 hr drive back to Baton Rouge. I called his pediatrician and was able to get him in when we got back to town. She said it was a cold and GI infection after the strep and flu tests came back negative. So home we went with no real answers and a very sick kiddo.
Fast forward to today. This morning I decided to take Coco to the vet because he was losing patches of fur and he needed puppy shots that he was behind on. The vet told me he was born with a skin condition and it had gotten out of control. So for the next 3 weeks I have to give him up to 3 medicines a day and give him 2 baths a week. She was optimistic that this would clear up the issue and we wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. She also said that this should clear up his "dog smell", which she commented on immediately. (That's what made me the happiest!)
By the time we were done with the vet and grocery shopping, Easton was exhausted. I held him while paying for the groceries and he fell asleep in my arms. When we got home I put him to bed and he slept for 2 hours. His eyes were so filled with mucus when he woke up that he could barely get his eyes open. He was also burning up with a fever...again. So I called and got him in for yet another dr appt. The doctor thought he had Adenovirus but checked him for Flu A and strep just to be on the safe side. He came back 10 mins later to tell me that for the first time in 4 flu swabs, Easton had tested positive for the flu. The good news is that we FINALLY have an answer. The bad news is that the only way he'll get over it is by pretty much quarantining him. I pray that both of the little Herrington boys (both the 4-legged one and the human one) get well soon because this nurse stuff is for the birds!

No comments: