Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Hallmark Holiday!

OK, instead of doing my annual "Bash on Valentine's Day" blog, let me give you some background on why I'm not a huge fan of this holiday. Maybe it started when I was a little girl, watching my parents' relationship. They have one of those rare marriages where they never stopped dating. My dad "courts" my mom by bringing her home surprises and/or flowers on a regular basis. My mom writes my dad loves notes and sticks them in his lunches that she faithfully packs every morning. They rarely sit next to each other without holding hands or snuggling in some way, share or form. So, although they did little things for me and my brother and for each other on Valentine's Day, it was just like any other day in our house.
Or maybe it started when I was 14 yrs old and started my 7 yr stint working in a flower shop. I'd go to school and then work until 10 or 11 at night, taking orders and making arrangements. From the time I was 16 until I was 21 there were times I'd work until 1 or 2 am on Feb. 13th, trying to get last minute orders taken care of. My boss wasn't the nicest guy so between him yelling at us (his employees), irate customers and my hands bleeding from stripping so many thorns off of roses it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth and by Feb. 14th I was just done with it all.
Or maybe it's because, like most girls, I've had my share of heartbreaking Valentine's. I've had a few good ones that stand out but for the most part it was a holiday filled with anticipation and letdown (even when I was in a relationship).
Or maybe it started when I became a teacher. I'm such a structured person that Valentine's Day and the day AFTER Halloween became my least favorite days to teach. All day the kids would be so hyped up, ready for the party, that it was all I could do to even keep the class under control (I quickly learned to forget about teaching on those days). At the end of the day I was exhausted and just wanted to go home and sleep.
I don't want my boys being cynical of holidays. I want them to form their own opinions about what holidays are a big deal and which ones they can do without. So, until they're old enough to form those opinions, I am doing my best to make each holiday a fun one and not share my opinions. To me it's just a Hallmark Holiday, but to many it's a day to celebrate love. So I'll celebrate my gifts of love that God has blessed me with~ loving parents who-from Day 1-have set an example of a strong marriage, a husband who loves me 365 days a year (even when I push his buttons), friends who are there through thick and thin and my two boys who are the greatest gifts of unconditional love that I could ever imagine! So, whether you celebrate this Hallmark Holiday or Valentine's Day or you could care less about the day know you are loved because that's what today-and every day- is about.

No comments: