Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The "C" Word

I don't know what you thought of when you saw the title but what comes to mind when I see that is the ugliest "C" word I know....cancer. Tonight was my Back to School Night and as all the teachers were waiting for it to start I looked at one of the Kindergarten teachers that stood there with a bandana on her head. She had her arm around her young son, probably the one that she said is taking this the hardest because he knows she won't be around until he's grown up. The teacher next to me asked if the K teacher had lost her hair already and I told her she had started losing it about a month ago. When the teacher asked me what kind of cancer she has now I told her that it had gone into her bones and either her liver or kidney. I couldn't remember which one because I know so many people that are battling cancer that it all starts to run together. I have 2 friends that have 5th graders battling cancer. I can empathize with two of my close friends that are watching their grandma die of cancer because I watched my Nana take her last breath after losing her cancer battle. One of Rob's uncles was just diagnosed with it. I start to pray for the people that I know that are battling cancer and the list seems to go on forever. There's days when I clump them into a group instead of praying individually because I feel like I'd be praying all day for cancer patients. You know, people say, "What are you going to ask God when you get to heaven?" and I never really think about it. But, when I get to heaven the question I'm going to ask is, "Why does cancer exist?". It's such an ugly disease that affects so many. I just don't understand why the "C" word even has to be part of this world!

No comments: