Monday, August 15, 2011

Hunt...Take 2




When my parents graciously offered to take P for a second weekend in a row, Rob and I decided to head back to Cave Lake to try our luck at another elk. We (i.e. Rob) spent hours scouting out different water holes he found using his GPS. We decided to hunt the same one for all the hunts because it had the freshest "sign". Saturday night I had a good feeling about the hunt but after being in the blind for about an hour I started getting horrible stomach cramps. I couldn't sit still because I was in so much pain. We decided to end the hunt a few minutes early because I was near tears due to my stomach hurting. After a good night sleep Saturday we headed out again Sunday. During last night's hunt I was ready to pack up at dark but Rob asked to stay a few minutes longer. Within seconds we heard a thunderous sound of elk trampling down the hillside. Rob started a commentary, telling me everything he could see from his viewpoint. All of a sudden I heard elk running back up the hill, the other way. The elk sensed us there and hightailed it out of the area. Rob was able to call them back in again with his elk call but they never got close enough to us again. I was really bummed because I didn't even have an opportunity to see the elk through my sight. A huge tree trunk stood between us and the elk. Last year I was able to shoot at 3 elk and missed. This year I had the utmost confidence in my bow ability, knowing that if given the opportunity I'd be able to bring home the meat. When we left the blind there was a lightning storm taking place and a herd of elk ran across our path. It was the most excitement we had had all weekend. I'm hoping that next year I can draw a tag so I'll have a chance to bring home the most delicious meat I've ever eaten!

No comments: