Monday, August 22, 2011

Full Speed Ahead!

I like keeping busy. I have a hard time sitting still. I always have projects going and people to see. But life has been so crazy busy lately that I'm looking forward to some down time....that will happen in October! This past weekend was by far the busiest we've had as far as packing a lot in. Friday night Rob and I left P with my parents and headed to Lake Tahoe for the Miranda Lambert. I don't know if it was due to lack of sleep or because we're getting old (HA!) but we weren't overly impressed.
We liked the opening act and the first half of Miranda's concert. But by the end we were ready to head home and crawl into bed. Saturday P woke us up bright and early because he didn't want to miss a minute with Gee and BobBob. We enjoyed a big breakfast then my parents went West with P and Rob and I headed back to Ely for my last hunt.
The first weekend of the hunt was a blast! Although I never had a chance to shoot at anything I thoroughly enjoyed it. Last weekend was ok, but nothing to really write home about. This weekend was a mixture of fun and misery. We went back to the blind we had hunted last weekend but someone was using it. Luckily, Rob had come prepared and set up our ground blind in an area close by that had fresh elk sign. Within an hour of getting in our blind, a bull walked about 100 yrds away.
Then, close to sun down, cows started making their way to us. We had elk within 20 yards of us. I had 2 shots and messed up both of them, letting the elk get away. If you know me well, you know I'm a perfectionist so missing for a 2nd year in a row did not set well with me. I know what I did wrong both times, easy mistakes to fix. But I wasn't given another opportunity to fix those mistakes and I walked away from another elk season without elk meat. Rob and I did have fun after the hunt though. He had found an area to camp out in as all the hotels were booked. We BBQd shish kabobs, ate off Thomas the Train plates on his tailgate and enjoyed looking at all the stars. He also had brought a blow up mattress to sleep on, which is a whole new funny blog for a later date.
Yesterday we hunted for about an hour then packed up camp and headed home. After being gone from P for 3 weekends in a row and driving over 2000 miles, I was ready to put the season behind us. Once we got back to town, unloaded the truck and cleaned up we decided to enjoy a date night. We grabbed a bite to eat then went to see "The Help". Whether you've read the book or not, you'd really like the movie as we both did. We came home exhausted but Rob still had to pack for his trip. So it ended up being another late night.
Although the past month has been fun, we're both sleep deprived and I'm off my schedule. I'm looking forward to life slowing down a bit, getting back into our routine and enjoying the down time with my boys!

No comments: