Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day


My first official Mother's Day was picture perfect! I was in Sacramento for the morning, where I was given a frame that contained pictures of Preston and a recording of him playing in the bathtub. We went to church with my parents and then went to lunch afterwards. Preston and I headed home to a clean house and laundry done, thanks to Rob. He took care of Preston all afternoon so I could play on the computer and relax. He wrote me a beautiful letter about being the perfect mom (I don't think I am but I REALLY appreciated the letter). Then the real surprise came when he offered to take me to sushi. In the 3 years we've been together he's never offered that. We went to a nice Japanese steakhouse downtown where they cook in front of you. I didn't end up getting sushi but I did have the best shrimp I've ever eaten! Preston wasn't too sure about the fire and banging of cooking utensils but, despite that it was past his bedtime, he did remarkably well.
As I drifted off to sleep last night I thought about how much life has changed in the last year. Last year I was anticipating Preston's birth and now my life is consumed with his. I love (almost) everything about being a mom but some of the things I really enjoy are cuddling, especially right when we both wake up. I love story time when Preston picks out the books he wants me to read. I love our dance parties where we twirl and bounce around the living room. I love when we play with his vehicle puzzle because he mimics the ambulance siren when that piece is put in place (My mom taught his that one). I love his slobbery kisses that leave my cheek dripping wet. I love loading and unloading the dishwasher because Preston stands there, pushing the bottom rack in and out. I love going on walks and hikes, "talking" about all the things we see. I love playing peek-a-boo or making new noises with him because of Preston's infectious laughter. I could go on and on about all the things I love about being a mom. I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams and my cup runneth over!

No comments: