Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tough Guy

Early this morning I had to wake up Preston to get him ready to go back to the dreaded place where he'd already spent 4 days of his life....Renown Hosp. We had to go to get everything checked out and this hospital is the only place in town that our pediatrician trusts. So, I got him there and gave him his medicine and formula as instructed. Then we walked around the hospital for 45 minutes. Luckily, the hospital is really nice with a garden and Starbucks so he and I were both happy. Just as he was falling back asleep it was time for the bloodwork. When I walked into the room where it would be administered I was taken back with all the vials on the table. I asked the nurse to forgive me if I cried because it had been a few weeks since he had been poked and prodded last. She informed me I could leave the room if I wanted and that's ultimately what I did once Preston started crying. I wanted to be strong for him but it breaks my heart to see him get stuck by needles so much as such a young age. He had to have blood drawn to check the Acyclovir levels in his system, making sure he's getting enough.
Rob and I had a heart to heart last night and I told him I don't know what I'll do if the doctor calls and says he needs a higher dosage each day. Preston has become fussy and I think it's because of this medicine and what it's doing to his system. Rob and I had both agreed that we would stop the medicine yesterday if we weren't worried about the ramifications of the virus returning. We can't go through another round of ICU, spinal taps and IV treatments like before. So, for the next 10 months we will persevere through it and Preston will continue to be a tough guy that gets yucky medicine twice a day and bloodwork done once a month. He's more of a trooper than I'll ever be and I'm proud to be his mommy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I'm proud to be his grandma. He is an a-m-a-z-i-n-g little boy!!! Love, Grandma