Sunday, September 20, 2009

coffee club

when i was a boy my dad ran a lil store
lil coffee shop right on the reservoir
where old men woke up early to go have a cup
my eyes would get big as diamonds as id listen up
as mr norman caught those crappie out in ol plummers slough
he knew today would be a good one according to the moon
mr bob grew the biggest tomatoes of em all
as he sat there smoking those old pall malls
mr james and my grandpa would visit yesterday
talk about how it was back in the good old days
i wish i could go back and listen one more time
to all those stories of those heroes of mine

id walk across the street for the morning hunt
they would say hurry up boy that old sun is coming up
they would hang around until i made it back
just to see what i had in my bag
they were just as proud as my grandpa and my dad
when id pull out the sack and show em what i had
yeah they all watched me grow up
in the old coffee club

well time got faster and took them away
but they live in my thoughts each and every day
i can still hear their stories from long ago
and i miss them more than they will ever know
lord, id give anything to go fishing with mr norman again
or eat an old tomatoe than mr bob would bring in
i wish i was back in the booth with grandpa and mr james
and talk about all those yesterdays
yeah there aint nothing like getting to grow up
in the old coffee club

No comments: