Sunday, September 13, 2009

Pure Craziness!

Today I witnessed craziness, pure craziness! Preston and I went to Sacramento to surprise my parents for Grandparents' Day (Thanks to both sets of grandparents who love and spoil him unconditionally!!). During the last few trips to Sacramento, I've experienced wildlife that I don't usually see....a deer grazing by the side of the road, a hawk with a rodent in its mouth. But, I wasn't thinking about that during my drive, only my time frame in getting to my parents' church on time. That being said, even if I was thinking about it, what I witnessed was still something that wouldn't have crossed my mind in a million years!!
Something caught my eye on the opposite side of the freeway. Out of nowhere a medium sized brown bear was barreling across the interstate. Because it had 4 lanes of traffic to cross to be successful in its mission, the odds were not good. He didn't beat the odds either! A SUV hit the bear, causing the bear to flip in the air and land on the shoulder of the road. It laid there, flailing its arms and legs. At first I thought it was a figment of my imagination. In fact, had Preston not been with me I would've slammed on the brakes, gotten out and taken a picture just to make sure it was all real. I think the driver of the SUV felt the same way because, as I looked in my rearview mirror, it took the SUV awhile before it slammed on its brakes. I don't know if the driver stopped or if there was damage done to the bear or SUV. All I know is when I drove back by, on my way home, there was no sign of the bear. So, I guess that means it was okay after all??!! One thing is for sure....that was one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed!

No comments: