Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You?


Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?


These lyrics are from a country artist, a beautifully written song that describes so much about that fateful day 10 years ago. I remember when I was younger and we'd visit my Nana and Papa. When we'd go to my mom's old elementary school she'd point out where she was sitting when she'd heard that JFK had been shot. I always thought, "How does she remember that when it doesn't directly affect her?" but now I understand. I understand because I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard about the attacks on the twin towers. I had just gotten out of the shower and was getting ready for work. I had turned on the news as I rushed around. When I saw the images on TV I thought it was some kind of joke. It wasn't until I watched in horror as the buildings collapsed that it became a reality. I wanted to call in sick, curl up in bed and mourn those that I never knew. But I couldn't. I had to get to work and tell twenty 3rd graders that everything would be ok, even though I didn't believe it at the time.
At school I had imploring faces staring me down and all I could do was cry. That day was a blur of lots of questions, lots of concerns, lots of tears and lots of hugs. I remember one student in particular, Sebastian. I remember him because he came into the classroom, knowing so much more than the others about what had taken place. When students had questions he had answers. At the time I was mortified that his parents would let him view all that had transpired. But, in hindsight, I guess it was a turning moment for all of us. That same student is now a young man and just completed his basic training to become a U.S. Marine. He is now one of the many brave men and women fighting for my freedom.
So, as I reflect on that horrific day 10 years ago, when the world stopped turning, I realize that not only is the U.S. still standing in tact but it's stronger than ever. Individuals have endured their worst nightmares and have become stronger. New Yorkers have witnessed horrific hours and days and have become stronger. America has survived and because we will never forget we have become a strong nation, continuing to enjoy our freedom after the day the world stopped turning that September day!

No comments: