Thursday, September 6, 2012

Monsters and Shadows...Oh My!

3 things I've been strict with when it comes to P is nutrition, his schedule and what he's exposed to on TV. I've slacked on nutrition and his schedule but I'm still very concerned about what he watches on TV for several reasons. I don't believe 3 years should watch "Shoot 'Em" shows, war movies, vulgar shows, etc. One reason is because of his active imagination. I'm the one that gets woken up with him or the one that has to soothe him at bedtime when he's scared. He no longer like his fan on because he thinks the red lights look like "bad man eyes".
With as paranoid as I am about what gives him nightmares, I find it ironic that I've been the cause of some of his fears. He's obsessed with Spiderman so I found a 1960's cartoon for him to watch on YouTube (I mean how scary can a 1960's cartoon be??). That's what started the fear of his fan. He no longer asks me to watch Spiderman on the 'puter. Yesterday when we got home from school I told him he could watch the new Curious George that had been DVR'd. The blurb said it was about the power going out during a storm. Oh but it was so much more than that! It was about George imagining monsters in a cave when the lights went out.
At bedtime P was crying that he didn't want me to leave. I told him he could see me from his bed but that wasn't good enough. He wanted me right next to him so needless to say he slept with me. Even with me next to him he was scared. We prayed that Jesus would protect him. I told him Ruby was lying by the stairs so that monsters wouldn't come upstairs. He really freaked out about the shadows on the walls until I showed him how you could make animal shadows. He thought that was fun. Once all the lights were out, he finally fell asleep. But, at 11:30 he mumbled in his sleep "Don't let Doggy go downstairs. The monsters will get him." I was awake because of my own imagination so I rubbed his back and assured him he was fine but I think he was just talking in his sleep.
He's been awake for a half hour now and hasn't mentioned anything about monsters so I'm hoping it was a one night thing. I felt so bad, especially since that's something that I'm so passionate about in the first place.

No comments: