Sunday, September 2, 2012

Rob's Hunt and All That it Entails

Rob left for his hunt after work on Friday. He got to the area he'll be hunting in around 12:30AM. After setting up camp he got a few hours of shut-eye before heading out to glass at early daylight. He came back in when it started warming up since that's when elk typically bed down for the day. Just as he laid down to get a little shut-eye, he heard a clap of thunder. Knowing that animals move before big storms, he used the storm to his advantage. He glassed for quite awhile, seeing 30-40 bull elk. Because of the hunter that he is and because of this coveted tag that he holds, he only saw one elk he would shoot. His plan-when I talked to him last night-was to find a vantage point today and keep a watch on that particular elk as much as he could so he could pattern the elk. That way he'll be able to hopefully get in close enough for a shot.
On the home front, P and I desperately miss Rob but are trying not to let that show when we talk to him. Yesterday morning, first thing, P was in the kitchen with me. He was goofing off while I was loading the dishwasher. While jumping down from his stool, he knocked a bowl out of my hand. It shattered and created a deep, one inch (in length) gash on my foot. If you know me, you know I don't handle pain well. In fact, I'm a downright wimp! My first reaction was to let out a scream. My poor, sensitive boy started crying because he knew he had accidentally hurt me. I was trying to soothe him and clean up the blood that was pouring out all over the floor. After he had cried for quite awhile and after telling him it was just an accident, I asked why he was still crying. He said, "I need my Daddy home!" I explained that Daddy was hunting and would be home after he got an elk. P replied, "No! I don't want Daddy to get an elk. I want him home!". Luckily, things got better after that. I performed minor surgery on my foot-without passing out...PTL!-and I tried to make it a fun day for P. We went to a birthday party for one of his little buddies. Then I packed us some dinosaur sandwiches and fruit, loaded up the dogs and took everyone to the lake for a dinner picnic. When I put him to bed last night, I gave him his beloved "Doggy" that he sleeps with every night. He politely refused and said he only wants to sleep with his elk because of Daddy's big hunt.
 
 
For as excited as we are for Rob, we are hoping that he gets an elk rather quickly so he can come home safe and sound....SOON! If you talk to Rob, please do not share this blog with him. I'm only writing it because I know he doesn't have access to it right now. He can read it when he gets home but I know if he knew how much P was missing him, he'd scrap his hunt and get home immediately. We don't want him to miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime hunt just because we selfishly miss him.

No comments: