Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cowgirl?


I've never been into horses ever since I was bucked off one 15 years ago. For several years that was my one and only experience on a horse. I had no desire to ever get on one again. Then I met Rob. Last summer he paid for us to go on a trail ride so I could get used to horses. That didn't convince me that I was going to enjoy horses. Then he bought 2 horses. One terrified me and one was unpredictable when Rob rode him so again I was not convinced that I'd like horses. THEN he got Cheyenne. She is beautiful, docile and patient with me. The first time I got on her I asked Rob to lead me around the corral, not leaving my side. He encouraged me to ride her by myself but I insisted that I was okay. The next time I rode her I was on by myself, without him leading her (but close by), for about 5 minutes. I've fed her, given her treats, talked to her a lot, led her around the property and have fallen in love with her. Now I look forward to Rob riding her because when he gets back I ride her around the corral to cool her down. In fact, the last time I commanded her to pick up the speed a little because I'm building confidence on her. Rob gives me lessons now so I can get used to riding on my own. One of these days I'll feel comfortable enough to open the gate and ride off in the world!

No comments: