Friday, October 30, 2009

The Past Few Days

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever looked forward to ending a day as much as I did yesterday. Before I get into that let me back up a day. Wednesday morning we woke up to snow on the ground. It was absolutely breath-taking and I was looking forward to staying in all day, getting house work done and relaxing with Preston. When Preston woke up from his morning nap he was screaming, which is pretty rare these days. I went to get him and he had vomitted all over our bed. I cleaned him up but he was still screaming. When I changed his diaper let's just say it wasn't pretty. I called our pediatrician and he said it was most likely a GI infection. He recommended Pedialyte for the next 24 hours. Since we didn't have any I had to take a quick shower (all the while Preston is screaming) and head down the hill to get some. After Preston drank some he settled down and went right to sleep for the ride home. Although I didn't wish for him to be sick, I got to eat a burrito for lunch complete with a caffinated glass of Coke. YUM! That and his grape smelling breath was the only nice part of him having to drink Pedialyte. When we got home, Preston was real clingy. He slept in my arms several times throughout the afternoon. Usually I don't let him take naps in my arms but I have to say I enjoyed snuggling with him. By that evening he was back to his usual self so I thought all was good again. WRONG!! Yesterday started out okay but by the afternoon he had turned into a monster baby. He would scream uncontrollably and I was unable to calm him down no matter what I did. By the time Rob got home I was about out of my mind, having flashbacks of when he was 2 months old doing this on a daily basis. I gave Preston to Rob and left the house to go for a long walk. Holly and I walked until it was almost dark because I needed to get away from the crying and screaming before I lost my mind. As soon as I got home, I was welcomed with the sound of him crying. Rob continued to hold him while I made Rob dinner. Nothing would console him so I fed him his night bottle/medicine early and put him to bed. By that time Rob and I were both pretty frazzled. Southwest was having an AWESOME deal on airfare so we booked two trips and afterwards I questioned whether I even put in the correct destinations. I ate a PBJ sandwich while taking a hot bath then crawled into bed absolutely drained! I am happy to say that today is 1,000 times better and Preston is back to being his happy self. I guess he likes to have "off" days once in awhile to show us how good we really have it with him 98% of the time.

No comments: