Tuesday, August 24, 2010

One of Those (Fun) Days!



I worried about what kind of day it would be because Preston's schedule is changing once again this week. He went from 2 shorter naps to one long late morning/early afternoon nap. I've felt bad that we haven't been to any parks for a few days so I got online while he was napping to find one in VC. Much to my surprise I couldn't find one. So, when he woke up I figured we'd drive through VC to see what we could find on our own. I didn't find the park (at first) but I found the next best thing....a cemetery! Judge me if you want but I was looking for a place that he could run around with Holly. This fit the bill and he didn't know any different. He had a blast chasing grasshoppers and Holly. Every time I picked him up to leave he'd squirm out of my arms and take off running again. It's the only time that I can remember as of recent that I said, "Bye bye" and it didn't phase him. That's how much he loved running around the cemetery! I enjoyed it as well, taking in all the history that surrounded me. Most of the tombstones were from the early 1800's and I was amazed at how many people died before the age of 30. I also got to thinking about how the rich are still able to show off their wealth after they die. The man that Storey county was named after had a huge pillar at the very top of the hill that stood far above the rest. Other people had gorgeous marble tombstones that looked like they had been placed just last week. Others didn't have that luxury and it was apparent.
Anyway, after we left the cemetery we ironically ran into the community park. I can't believe that I have not found this park in the 2 1/2 years we've lived here. It is such a beautiful, quaint park with LOTS of shade, grass, flowers and a fence that goes around the entire perimeter. A perfect place for Preston to play! Well, that is until I took my eyes off him for a second. He found the one and only mud puddle in the entire park and gave himself a mud bath. Talk about a mess! I stripped him down to his diaper and did my best with baby wipes before putting him in his carseat that I had just washed a few hours earlier. He had a blast, though, and that's what counts.
When we got home I gave him a fruit pop before putting him in the bath. Since he's been a picky eater later it didn't really surprise me that he wasn't interested in it after a few bites/licks. After his bath I gave him cheese crackers, figuring he wouldn't like them. WRONG! He loved them and loved getting the crackers on everything just as much as he loved eating them. Usually with his afternoon snack I let him eat off a plate on the kitchen floor so he can have the freedom to eat and then play at will. I was regretting that choice when everywhere I looked had orange cracker pieces. I called Holly in to do damage control but even she couldn't clean the place up.
After cleaning up a bit we went down the hill for groceries. On the way back up it was peak time for the sun to be in P's eyes. So all I said was, "Peak a Boo" and he immediately covered his eyes. He's never done this before so it made me laugh. That's all the encouragement he needed! But, then he'd cover his eyes with his fingers spread apart so he could make sure I was looking. Then he only covered one eye. We played this game all the way home, both of us laughing and having such a good time.
It's days like today that definitely make up for days like Sunday. We had so much fun dancing, playing and making a mess (well, he did and I'd try to clean it up)! I love when we have one of those days!!

No comments: