Monday, August 16, 2010

Unsettled

Life seems so unsettled and I know someday in the future I will look back at this chapter in life, wondering how I held it together. Friday, after teaching all day, I picked Preston up from daycare and hit the road toward Battle Mountain....again! The road trip seemed a lot longer than 3 1/2 hours because Preston was fussy. He's probably beginning to think that he'll grow up in a carseat. And rightfully so!

We slept in a little Saturday then hit the road for Ely (another 4 hr car ride). I wanted one last attempt at a cow elk. We arrived at the beautiful little town and I immediately headed to my blind. I can say it wasn't as relaxing as last weekend's hunt because I had flies and bees swarming me for 3 1/2 hours. Finally, around 6pm, the insects left me alone and I was ready to focus on my hunt. 3 cows made their way down the hillside an hour later. I took aim at the one in front...and missed. The story of my life this season. Then, a half hour later, another 2 cows came down a hillside directly in front of me. I waited for one to put her head down and I took aim 30 yrds away. I knew I hit her so I texted Rob and he was there in a flash. Unfortunately, it was dark and we couldn't find her. So we decided to spend the night and look again at daylight. Preston and I shared a bed, but not much sleep, at a local hotel. We woke up early Sunday morning and headed back to the area. Luckily, Preston was exhausted so he slept in his carseat while Rob and I combed the mountainside. Unfortunately, we were not able to find the elk and I felt horrible. I shed a few tears, wishing I had missed her all together.

We headed back to Battle Mountain and enjoyed the rest of the day as a family. We took a long afternoon nap then went to a great little Mexican restaurant in town. Afterwards we took Preston to the local park so he could get some much needed exercise. He thoroughly enjoyed Rob playing chase with him, me swinging with him and a cute little girl flirting with him.

The bummer thing with this weekend is that Preston was sick. We thought it was teething, then a cold, then he developed a horrible cough that kept him up the past few nights. So, he and I left bright and early this morning to head to the doctor's. Dr. Althoff said that he has the start of an ear infection in one ear and if we had waited a few more days he'd have a double ear infection. That means he's back on Amoxicillan (sp?) for 10 days. I'm glad this is my short week so he only has 2 days in daycare. I'll also be glad when life is back to normal for us at the Lazy H Ranch!

No comments: