Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Big Girl Run

When I'm told I can't do something I do everything in my power to make sure I CAN do it. 8 years ago I was told by a physical therapist that I probably won't be able to do long distance runs because of an injury I sustained to my Achilles. Then a few months ago I was told that again because of a lisfranc fracture on my left foot. The podiatrist was discussing surgery while in my mind I was thinking about running a half marathon. After talking to my friend who is my neighbor who is also my running partner, we decided to take up a marathon relay style. That means we're each responsible for running a half marathon. That is doable but after registering we found out that we have to accomplish this feat within 4 hours and 25 mins. Michelle is super busy with 2 kids, a full time job and a husband recouping from shoulder surgery. She informed me the other night that I'll have to run 6 minute miles to help pick up her slack. I know she was joking but it made me more determined to accomplish this goal within the allotted time frame.
Last night Rob said he'd cook dinner while I went for a run. I had already run 3 miles earlier in the day but someone informed me that doing 2 runs a day would be excellent training for this kind of marathon. I don't know if it's because of my earlier run or because I was running hills or because it was the end of the day or because of the head wind or because...GASP...the doctors could be right but it was an ugly run. I finished it but wasn't happy that I had to walk a little. My run last night made me determined to intensify my training so I'll be ready by June 18th. This is an important thing on my "Bucket List" so I...will...run...13...miles...even...if...it...kills...me!

No comments: