Saturday, May 7, 2011

Quick Trip

Thursday was my worst day of teaching this year. Not my worst day of teaching in my career by any stretch of the imagination but worse for this class this year. So, it's not surprising that I was counting down the minutes until the end of the day Friday so I could pick up my boys and head to Sacto. For the past 2 years I have driven to Sacto for Race for the Cure and I went for 5 years before that when I lived there. It's a special race to me since my Nana lost her battle against breast cancer 5 years ago. Every time I walk across the start line I tear up. I also tear up after the race when we're walking through the exhibits and I see the THOUSANDS of people that have faced the ugly battle against breast cancer.
This year was different for me. It meant more than I can express that Rob made it a priority to be part of this sentimental event with me. I enjoyed having him and Preston with me to honor my Nana, a wonderful woman that they never got to meet unfortunately. The frustrating part was after the race. There weren't many exhibits and we had a little miscommunication with one of the employees. So that left kind of a funky taste in my mouth so to speak. It's not about the exhibits but about celebrating the survivors and honoring the deceased. But the exhibits are always a highlight for me, my mom and my aunt. We try to get souvenirs and take our time, enjoying it all. There weren't many to enjoy this year. That being said, it really WAS a fun filled FAMILY event that I cherish.
After the race we went out for our annual breakfast. Then P and my mom napped while Rob, my dad and I bonded over a round of golf. My dad hasn't played in 15-20 years so he was getting frustrated (but Rob and I thought he did great!). Rob and I worked on our short games since it's a smaller course. We had a lot of fun and wish we would've had time to play another round. But, alas, Rob and I decided to head home. We loaded up the Yukon less than 24 hours after we had arrived and took off for home. It was a quick trip but so much fun! I'm looking forward to next year when we can do it all again.

No comments: