Thursday, May 19, 2011

Untitled

I dropped my car off at the mechanic's this morning and walked to work. On my 1 mile walk I thought about all kinds of philosophical things I could write about my walk. But, after my day, I think I'll just blog whatever. I've had the privilege of traveling to several different countries. I've seen the poorest of the poor in other countries and have only taught low income students here in the states. But for some reason it always amazes me when I get a close-up view of my students' lives. My school is one of two schools in a large district that receives free breakfast, lunch and dinner for the students. On my walk to school this morning I saw the apartment complexes where some of my students reside. Putting what I saw into words is nearly impossible but it broke my heart. I thought I'd be nervous on my early morning walk since there weren't a lot of people around but I was more nervous on my way back to the mechanic's this afternoon. People were whizzing by me on bikes, passing me on the side of the road. No one knew I carried my purse in my backpack...or at least I don't think they did. Everyone smiled or nodded but for some reason I was on edge. Once I got to the mechanics' my mood didn't lighten up. After my car being there for 8 hours they said they needed it 10-15 mins longer. The mechanic treated me like a female getting her car repaired (Imagine that!). When I complained about it taking longer without being notified, he informed me that he had put on special brake pads without charging me more. Seriously? I'm not the smartest when it comes to car stuff but I'm not that dumb. The best part is when I picked P up from daycare and got in my car....and it wouldn't start. The mechanic had to send a guy over to jump it so P and I played with his little friends awhile longer. By the time my car started again, I went to Walmart and grabbed dinner it was at least an hour later than I wanted. Since getting home, I haven't had a chance to sit much. Luckily, it's P's bedtime so I'm going to draw me a hot bath and do something I've been wanting to do for a few hours.....relax!!

No comments: