Sunday, November 13, 2011

WHY????????????

I'm mad. I'm upset. I can't stop crying. I want to break something. I really want to punch God in the stomach. Why?? Why does a 41 year old man with 3 young boys and a wife with terminal cancer have to die a tragic, unexpected death?
Last night Rob and I went to our first UNR football game. As we walked to our car, little did we know that we were standing within a mere block of where a tragedy would take place 2 hours later. A little before midnight JK Metzker was done watching the game with his friends (Although he's a local sports broadcaster, he wasn't working Saturday) and was heading to his car to go home to his family when a stupid 23 year old drunk driver hit him and fled the scene. JK couldn't survive the injuries he sustained and passed away this afternoon. As mad as it makes me and as much as it puts a damper on my memories of last night, nothing compares to what his wife is going through.
You see his wife is a co-worker of mine and in July she confided in me that her cancer was back and this time it's terminal. She and I have kind of drawn close this year in terms of I take her rowdy Kindergarten class once in awhile to play with my kiddos so she can rest. During those times she usually comes out for a few minutes, giving me updates on her health or family life. I overheard her talking to our principal on Thursday about how her cancer's progressed so much that her oncologist would like her to leave her teaching profession and enjoy what little time she has left...with her family. Or now, I guess, her 3 young boys (Ages 11, 10 and 7). I can't even fathom the grief the family is going through, especially the boys. They have had time to come to grips with their mom's impending death, something she's talked to them a lot about. But to lose their dad, their future sole caregiver, suddenly? WHY? Why do good people have to die young while rapists and murderers and drug dealers continue to walk the streets? It doesn't make sense and right now I'm mad at God about the whole thing. Some day I'll be able to ask Him this but for right now I'm just a ball of emotions with unanswered questions!

I got this pic from her FB page and although it was taken a few years ago it could've just as easily been taken last week...

No comments: