Wednesday, April 18, 2012

100 pounds

I feel like my head alone weighs 100 lbs today because I've got so much weighing down on it. I've been on break for 3 weeks and coming back was a little overwhelming. Overwhelming because of what some of my little students have to deal with on a daily basis. One girl was taken from her mom after her mom got drunk and severely beat her and her siblings. Her dad, who had just had her for a few months, has custody once again and the little girl had to move from one state to another yet again. One boy isn't back because his visit to Mexico is now permanent. His Dad can't get up to the U.S. and his mom is working 3 jobs to raise 5 kids. Another little boy is watching his mom slowly die from ovarian cancer and his dad is at his wit's end with dealing with the kids and taking care of his wife. The last situation is what makes me the most sad and I think it's because I see the girl's emotions change at the drop of a hat. According to her, her mom was put in jail because she was caught with "a bad guy" after being told not to (ie. her mom broke probation and my GUESS is that it has to do with drugs or prostitution). Anyway, she and her brother were put into the foster system. The hope was to get them placed with a family that lives close to the school but that hasn't happened yet. If I discipline her in the least she immediately gets tears in her eyes. She's a needy one so I have to remind myself several times a day to be more patient. It breaks my heart to see such young lives have to deal with so much! I had the "Leave it to Beaver" childhood so I have NO idea what my students are dealing with every single day. Some are homeless while others have several people live in one house (with my student sleeping in the closet) to make ends meet. I could go on and on about my students' lives but I think this is enough of a "downer" blog for one night. I was going to add more that has been weighing on my mind but, on my way home tonight, I realized that negativity can be oh so draining. So, I will end this by asking you to count your blessings. There's a saying that says something like, "If everyone dumped their problems into a pile you'd be quick to grab yours back" meaning that your life isn't so bad. I know mine isn't and I thank God for that!

No comments: