Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Gone Too Soon

Yesterday morning I found it fitting that "Unanswered Prayers" was playing on the radio, followed shortly after with "I Can Only Imagine". The reason it was fitting is because I was on my way to the funeral for an adorable 8 year old that lost his battle against brain cancer 5 1/2 months after he was diagnosed with this horrible disease.
I thought I'd be a mess as it was my first funeral for a child, because I'm a mom and because I haven't handled funerals well since my Papa's death in 2003. But I held it together better than I thought. I think it helped that it was a Catholic ceremony and I had no idea when to sit or stand and what to repeat when the priest recited certain passages. I did shed tears when 2 ladies got up to share memories of his short life, when his little casket was carried out and when his siblings got up to recite a prayer. I shed the most tears when I read the passage in the bulletin (Is that what it's called at a funeral?). It read:

"When God calls little children to
dwell with Him above, we mortals
Sometimes question
The wisdom of His love.
Perhaps God tires of calling
The aged to His fold,
So He picks a rosebud
Before it can grow old.
God knows how much we need them,
And so He takes but few
To make the land of Heaven
More beautiful to view.
Believing this is difficult still
Somehow we must try.
The saddest word mankind knows
Will always be "Goodbye".
So when a little child departs,
We who are left behind
Must realize God loves children,
Angels are hard to find."

Rest in peace and suffer no more sweet, young Cris. Your contagious smile, big personality and wonderful sense of humor will greatly be missed.

No comments: