Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Angelic Day

You ever have one of those days where you want to move to Australia because nothing is going right? Well, that pretty much sums up my day yesterday. I was running late from the get go, despite waking up super early. Then when I dropped P off at school it broke my heart to have him cling to me, begging me not to leave. (That'll be a blog for a different day depending on how the next couple days go) From there I had a dr appt that ran late, leaving me no time for a Starbucks run (a tragic event indeed since I wanted to celebrate that I had got the "all clear" to resume normal activity from my dr). Luckily, although I was running late, I got to my photo shoot before my friend (read below about that). But Easton screamed most of the time and her oldest son was having a difficult time following directions while her middle son didn't want to smile for the camera. I also was beating myself up afterwards for messing up my camera settings but in the long run it worked to my benefit. I had to nurse Easton after the photo shoot, leaving me late to get P. When I picked him up from school he was on a roll. He told me, in a rather proud voice mind you, that he had hurt his teachers' feelings by telling them he doesn't like them. Now if you know P you know that he is not like that. He's been having a difficult time transitioning to being a big brother on top of being 3 1/2. When we got home he started mouthing off to me and refusing to follow directions regardless of the consequences. By naptime I had had it between his mouthiness and Easton's fussiness. I just lost it and started crying. At first P started laughing but when I didn't stop he realized it was serious. I told him some days I didn't want to be a mommy because it was hard. That led to a long conversation and I think it was good that he saw me break down. Not because of a change in his behavior, but the day got better after that. I had a chance to work up a sweat on the treadmill and I was able to return a computer cable for another one, despite the fact that I was the one that spliced it.
Today I woke up guardedly optimistic for a better day. I laid the day out for P as soon as he woke up. He was excited to spend some Valentine money that he had received in the mail so I told him if he could behave while running errands he could buy what he wanted. He did a fabulous job and was rewarded with a trip to the toy dept. Naptime is when we have the most battles lately but not today. He willingly went in his room for an hour of quiet play while I did things around the house. Although I felt like I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off, it was nice to have that quiet time to make phone calls and get things done without interruption. After naptime we were able to wrestle and play "Daddy Bull", something he's been begging me to do for months. I can't tell you how great it felt to finally be able to pick him up in my arms. The belly laughs I got in response made me realize how much he, too, had missed it. Rob had to work late so I thought that'd effect P's behavior but it didn't in the least. Except for a little mouthiness this evening he did an awesome job today! It's the best day we've had in awhile. Now if we could only have every day be this good......... I can dream, can't I??? :)

No comments: