Thursday, February 7, 2013

No Tears Thursday

One of P's new favorite cartoons is "Bubble Guppies". On there is a fish named Mr. Grumpfish. So when one of us is grumpy the person earns the title of Mr. Grumpfish.
P started a new preschool a week after Easton was born and he thinks he's there because of Easton's birth. I guess his little mind thinks he's a cast off, which breaks my heart! The first week he did great when I took him but since then he's cried every time. He goes to great lengths, such as trying to bolt from the building, clinging to my leg, etc. to show he doesn't want to be there. But I know it's all an act because he did that at his old daycare until he realized I wasn't going to keep him at home. I'm learning to choose my battles as a parent and this is one I will win because I don't want him to think he can dictate if/where he goes to school. I also don't want him to get the idea at an early age that if he doesn't like school he can quit. But it's been breaking my heart every time I take him to school. I've tried bribing him. I've tried tough love. I've tried praying with him and singing special songs with him. All to no avail. Today I tried a new tactic....which miraculously worked! He's on a kick where, if I taunt him about not being able to do something, it's his goal to prove me wrong. On the way to school this morning I started saying, "You can't go to school without crying because you're Mr. Grumpfish." That got him laughing so I kept repeating it. By the time we got to his school he was laughing a lot. He quickly gave me a hug, proudly yelled "I'm not going to cry because I'm not Mr. Grumpfish" and went off to play with one of the little girls in his class. When I picked him up a couple hours later he was quick to tell me all the fun things he did at school and his teacher was quick to tell me that it was his best day by far. That made me so incredibly happy to hear! In fact it made me so happy that I celebrated by taking him to McDonalds and me to Starbucks!
I would've loved if the rest of the day had been that smooth but we now have 2 boys to contend with. It seems when one isn't being Mr. Grumpfish the other is. Easton graciously took the title-and held it-the rest of the day. The only time he was happy is when he was nursing or sleeping. I don't know if it's a growth spurt or he's colicky but I hope this phase passes quickly. Rob and I were tag teaming him so the other could get stuff done or just have a break. In fact, it took me almost 20 minutes to walk .75 miles on the treadmill because I had to keep stopping it to soothe him. I know this too shall pass and knowing that P had such a great day at school cancels out Easton being Mr. Grumpfish. The joys of parenthood!

No comments: