Thursday, July 30, 2009

Having a Life...and coping

It is so refreshing to not be cooped up in the house anymore. For the first 3 weeks of Preston's life, I was at the house all day or in the hospital all day. Being able to get out and run errands and meet with friends gives life a whole new meaning. Yesterday I was brave and met up with a friend for breakfast. She has a newborn that is 1 1/2 days younger than Preston (but 4 lbs heavier....he's a brute!). The boys were doing great during the first hour or so while we caught up on each other's life. Then, Brayden started waking up to be fed. Somehow that triggered Preston wanting to be fed as well. I still don't have the breastfeeding in public down so by the time I got "situated" he was wailing. At that point, I couldn't get him calmed down and everyone in the restaurant was looking at us (or so I felt). I took him to the bathroom, changed his diaper (I love when places provide the not-so-sanitary-but-extremely-helpful changing stations), and fed him a little in there. As I was walking out a lady asked, "Is this your first?". I wanted to sarcastically ask her what gave it away but I smiled and said replied yes. (I do think I am going to get a shirt made that says, "Yes, this is my first!" so I don't have to answer that question all day) Once I got back to that table I was able to feed and hold him for awhile, which made him happy. Then I made the mistake of having to change positions because my arm had fallen asleep. That's all she wrote from that point on. My friend, whose baby was sleeping soundly, kept talking....albeit a couple decibels louder...like my son was not screaming at the top of his lungs. I tried rocking him, bouncing him, walking around with him. Finally, when nothing was working, I cut her off from whatever she was talking about (I hadn't been able to pay attention for the past 5 mins anyway) and told her we had to go. Wouldn't ya know, as soon as we paid, gathered up our stuff and got the lil guys in their carseats, Preston stopped crying?! At that point I was worn out so he slept the whole way home and I slept when we got home. Would I change going out with friends for a second? Not on your life!!

No comments: