Sunday, July 5, 2009

whats in a name?

well, he has finally arrived! robert preston herrington v was born at 3:57 p.m on july 3rd, 2009. im not much of a writer, but i thought id give this blogging thing a shot. i cannot believe how strong my wife is. she listened to the dr and did everything she was told to absolute perfection. i dont know if theres ever been a time in my life when i was so proud of someone. preston is so fortunate to be born to a such an amazing mother. she hasnt slept much, but everytime i look up at her she is smiling and glowing. preston had a rough 4th of july. he got circumsized, blood drawn, and numerous tests done. hes been a trooper though. i am so thankful to have such a healthy beautiful son. it means so much to me that he gets to carry on the herrington name after im gone. he has some big shoes to fill seeing as how he is named after such great men as my grandpa and my dad. it didnt really matter to me if we had a boy or a girl, but the only reason i was kinda hoping for a son was my name. whats in a name? well, for me, its everything. its the legacy of a man who was at pearl harbor on december 7, 1941 and survived the infamous day. it was a man who accompanied admiral byrd on the south pole expedition. it was a man who was an inventor, and dedicated his time to promoting his love of the outdoors. however what made this man my hero, was that above all of his accomplishments, he would tell you that the greatest thing in his life was his family. he was one hell of a man. thankfully for his way of life, it filtered on down to my dad. my dad raised me with the lessons his father taught him. to work hard, do everything to your full potential, and always put your family first. i only hope i will be half as good of a father as my dad has been to me. so, to me, a name means everything. if it werent for preston, my grandpa, dad, and my name would be gone forever when i die. now, thanks to preston, the names of these 2 great men will live on after were all gone. the herrington name is a legacy. a tribute to the greatest generation. ive missed my grandpa everyday since the day he left us on april 9, 2001. but i dont think ive ever missed him more than i do right now. i know hes looking down smiling at his great grandson, knowing his name will live on. now, my dad will have the chance to do what my grandpa did for me. i know he cant wait! nor can i. thanks dad for all that youve taught me, all the love, and never giving up on me. i dont think a man ever really understands how much a son really knows how much his father loves him, until that son has one of his own. so, whats in a name? everything that i am. welcome preston.

No comments: