Thursday, July 21, 2011

Last Day

Tomorrow is my last day of Summer vacation. I can't believe how fast the time flew by! At the beginning of the Summer I was worried that I'd get bored with 7 weeks off from work. But 7 weeks later our house isn't incredibly clean. In fact, it may be dirtier than before. I didn't go on any vacations other than a day away here and there. I didn't see any more friends than I normally would've seen. I didn't get any big house projects done. Nor do I have a nice tan (other than my arms) from laying out, sunning myself. I didn't catch up on a lot of books that I've wanted to read. After my race I didn't even really run much. There are a lot of things I didn't do but there is one thing I did do....I HAD FUN!
I also learned something this Summer. I learned that I can do things by myself and be ok with it. A few years ago I would've been mortified if you would've told me I'd go to lunch by myself or ponder going to the movies by myself (which I never did this Summer). Although it's not my preferred method of doing things, I've learned I can be ok doing things by myself. I've also come to the realization that P is fun company. He makes me see things in a new, often fun, way.
On top of being bummed that it's my last day of vacation, I'm very nervous about this upcoming school year. Last year I had found a match made in heaven at my school. As a newbie, I had never felt so welcome. I loved all the kids and only called in sick if I had no other option with P. But a lot of the teachers struggled with the new principal and consequently transferred to other schools this Summer. Rumor has it that the class coming up is difficult and that has me worried because shared contract teachers typically get the "problem kids". I have no issues with difficult kids but a classroom full of them on a daily basis gets to be overwhelming. We only have 2 days to get ready for the school year (a process that usually takes 2 weeks minimum!) and we got an email saying that we probably have to move rooms. To top it off, a schoolwide parent vote mandated uniforms beginning this year. I am not a fan of school uniforms for SOOO many reasons so that in and of itself would cause me not to look forward to the year. On the bright side, I LOVE my teaching partner and only work a few days each week so almost anything is bearable when you look at it that way.
Time to call it a night so we can enjoy our last day of Summer vacation at the lake with friends. G'Night and enjoy your Friday, whatever you may be doing.

No comments: