Saturday, July 30, 2011

God is Good


This afternoon P and I were in the yard, getting fresh air even though he's sick. I looked up and saw that the clouds looked weird. Then P started coughing more than he had been. I looked up again and ash was falling from the sky, smoke filling our nose. I got us inside just in time to answer the phone, hearing a message that asked residents south of the road to evacuate. I didn't know if that was us or not but I figured out what was important to take and started loading up the car anyway. Then our power went out and another fire started. At that point we could see 2 fires (the smoke from them) and lots of dry lightning while sitting at our dining room table. I called my parents to ask them to pray and said a quick prayer with P. Then I went back to put another load in the car, with P hot on my heels. The wind had picked up so I tried to get P out of the way but the door smacked him right in the middle of his back, throwing him forward. When I picked him up to comfort him he threw up on me, on himself and on the carpet. Without power we had no hot water to get cleaned off properly so I gave us both a sponge bath. While all of this was going on, Rob was stuck at the bottom of the hill because the fire was along the road. The police officer told him there was no access into our development so he was not happy to say the least. After a couple hours of being powerless and watching smoke with a sick toddler all seemed to come to a halt. The smoke cleared, the power came on and we heard Rob's truck in the driveway. Although we are not completely out of the clear I feel confident in saying we're safe for tonight. Thank you to all that prayed and offered help. It's been a crazy afternoon, one that I'm glad is over, and I have no doubt that I'll sleep good tonight!

No comments: